Friday, February 8, 2013

Kerry Washington Says she Would Have Turned Down Scandel Role If the President had been Black

Kerry Washington is undoubtedly one of Hollywood's greatest actresses. She's currently starring in one of the most popular roles on TV, as she portrays real life crisis manager Judy Smith as Olivia Pope.

Pope is a Professional Fixer who makes problems go away before anyone even knows they exist. The show is totally captivating and cliffhanging-- I'm HOOKED!!!

Kerry is featured in this month's Essence Magazine and says the role is one she would have turned down if the President on the show was Black.  She also added:

“I was a little concerned because [the character has] a scandalous relationship with the [occupant of the] White House.

I thought, ‘If the president on the show is Black, I will not do the show.”  Because to me, it was too important a moment. I didn’t want to do anything that compromised my relationship with the [president] or that made it seem like I had an insider view on the Obama presidency.

I thought that would be so disrespectful and so against all the work that I had done.”

I totally agree Kerry! Judy Smith admitted on Oprah “No, I never dated the first President Bush.” Had the President been the opposite of actor Tony Goldwyn, controversy would have surely surrounded Kerry. Negating and dismissing the fact that the show is brilliant, and she is JUST acting and a damn good actress she is-- but still just ACTING!!!

Star Jones recently tweeted her disapproval of Olivia Pope’s decision to involve herself with the President, which is a married man with an expecting wife, instead of “fine azz Senate Leader Edison” (played by Norm Lewis. The show was created by Shonda Rhimes, who responded:

"The show is not a fairytale and Olivia is not a role model."

I say keep up the good work to Shonda, Kerry, and everyone who helps to make it the dynamic drama it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment