Friday, August 9, 2013

Swiss Apology for Oprah After Racist Incident

oprah-winfrey
Last month, Oprah travelled to Zurich, Switzerland to attend Tina Turner’s wedding.  She visited the upscale boutique, Trois Pomme.  She asked the shop assistant to show her a $40,000 handbag.  Now, we know $40,000 is pocket money for O.  Apparently this person didn’t get the memo.
The shop assistant refused to show Oprah the bag, stating it was out of her price range.
“One more time, I tried. I said, ‘But I really do just want to see that one,’ and the shopkeeper said, ‘Oh, I don’t want to hurt your feelings,’ and I said, ‘Okay, thank you so much. You’re probably right, I can’t afford it.’ And I walked out of the store.”
Now, Switzerland’s national tourism board has issued an apology on behalf of the country — saying, “We are very sorry for what happened to her.”
The board also begged for Oprah’s forgiveness on Twitter … saying the shop assistant “acted terribly wrong.”
This incident was really unfortunate.  Years ago in New York, she and her hairdresser were refused entry to a luxury store which had been robbed previously by two black people.  Obviously racism is still alive.
Oprah was just named the most powerful celebrity in the world by Forbes magazine.
What do you think?
Photo Credit:  TMZ
Source: TMZ

No comments:

Post a Comment